Monday Night Wrap-Up

Posted by Maggie September 25th, 2007 at 10:38am In Chuck How I Met Your Mother

That was a lot of television last night. I don’t think I can keep up this pace, frankly.

I found Chuck delightful. The plot requires several major suspensions of disbelief, but if you go with it, there are some funny moments. Personally, I decided halfway through that Chuck is just psychic, and they’re living in a world where computers work differently than they do in the real world. It’s a true action comedy, where the action itself is funny and doesn’t seem like it’s shoehorned in from a different show. Besides, any show that pulls off a joke about a ninja assassin with a vendetta is a-okay in my book.

Heroes was its usual Heroes mix: There were two storylines I thought were promising, one that was boring, and one that was awesome. You’ll have to decide for yourself which was which. This is not to say that Heroes isn’t great. I love Heroes. The ending, in the container… amazing. Can’t wait to see what’s going to happen.

Mandy Moore has finally found a role worthy of her awesomeness, and it is a tattooed bad girl on How I Met Your Mother. Though I occasionally find the sentimentality cloying, when that show works, it really works. Excellent season premiere.

The Pick-Up Artist. Brady’s make-over on his student? Absolutely amazing. I was shocked. But also relieved at the outcome. And as much as I love that show, I’m so glad it’s over. I can’t take the tension any longer.

And then I started watching Journeyman this morning. Meh. When Monday night is filled with that much entertainment, the weakest link must go. And it just felt like territory that The Time-Traveler’s Wife did much more thoroughly and interestingly several years ago.

Care to argue with me?

• 1. sara  |  September 25th, 2007 at 10:49 am

I too found Chuck delightful. Zachary Levi is adorable and funny, and it’s always nice to see Adam Baldwin on TV. Haven’t made my mind up about Secret Agent Girl—I think she’s the actress who’s married to the editor of Details, for what that’s worth.

And I think NPH is going to spend this entire season “nah-nah-nah-nah”ing all the people who didn’t give him a freaking Emmy. He was incredible last night.

• 2. Mikey  |  September 25th, 2007 at 11:04 am

-Awesome: Peter’s Story, I don’t know what is going on but it is great. He is just so cool. BTW I have a Peter theory, explained below.
    -Promising: Hiro in Japan, but hasn’t shown me anything yet.
    -Less Promising, although most interestingly interconnected: Claire in Texas with Emo kid who can fly/Bennet covertly working with Mohinder/Parkman in taking down the Company
    -A little less promising, with potential to really piss me off because I hate the brother: the Hondurans

And I don’t know how they will work in Ali Larter, but I guarantee I will hate it.

Speaking of Ali Larter: My theory on Peter is that he assumed her power of dual personalities/super strength, and now he doesn’t know who he is and he has fits of evil rampages where he kills George Takei and the like…

I know it’s a stretch…

I didn’t watch Journeyman because I can’t commit myself to three straight hours in one night (I don’t have a TiVo, I know I am not fully experiencing life), but I checked out Chuck and I liked it, but not as much as you I think. For me the jury is still out. I was never wowed, the jokes were sort of funny, not hilarious, and the plot was sort of interesting, not enthralling. The one thing that I LOVED was the music. Great use of music in that show. I’m still watching, and hoping for a little more.

• 3. Maggie  |  September 25th, 2007 at 11:27 am

Seriously, Mike, it’s like $9 a month. You can afford it. And you’ll end up watching less TV, I promise.

I think we were supposed to think it was Peter pushing George Takei off the roof, but if Peter’s chained up in a container in Cork, I don’t see how he managed it. (Unless the show is doing that thing they sometimes do where they show things that happened long apart as if they were happening concurrently.) My theory is that The Company decided that Peter was too dangerous to live, but Peter’s mother pulled some strings and stuck him where hopefully no one would find him. And the Haitian wiped his memory. Unless the Haitian is dead? I forget what happened to him.

I don’t trust the emo kid. He seems… stalkerish, first off, and untrustworthy, too. But eagle-eyed viewers will recognize him as Hunter, Jan’s assistant on The Office. “Good luck with your band.”

BTW, Mikey is my brother. Hi Mikey!

• 4. Liz  |  September 25th, 2007 at 11:41 am

For me, the Journeyman pilot got more watchable/interesting about halfway through. (No less a Time-Travelers’ Wife rip-off, but substantially less boring.) That might just be me, though. I’ll be sticking around for a couple more episodes just to check.

• 5. emily  |  September 25th, 2007 at 12:02 pm

was very happy with heros in all, but i was kind of disappointed to find myself uninterested in hiro in old japan. have to see what happens with that one. (hiro gets a second and third and fourth try.)

i didn’t really care for journeyman. so, if he travels through time and is gone for days at a time, he totally won’t be able to keep a job, unless his recovering druggie editor is cool with his trips. i can just see the stories getting old really quickly.

and, as much as i hate to admit this, i watched most of big bang theory…but only because it was already on when i came into the room, not because i turned it on myself. it’s ok if you don’t want to think and enjoy guessing the next predictable line.

• 6. Mikey  |  September 25th, 2007 at 1:29 pm

I don’t think the Haitian is dead, but if he is involved (and he very well may be), my theory about Peter having an alter ego is wrong. Your point about the company and Peter is well taken, because point in fact, he IS too dangerous, having almost blown up NY, and that would explain the Haitian’s involvement, but towards the end of last season, it seemed as if he was not towing the company line anymore: letting Claire escape etc… What leads me to believe that Peter may be turning towards the dark side is the fact that he was wearing the sign of the bad guy that Holly sees, and I just have a feeling that the producers want to shock everyone by making him bad, but not purposefully bad, a la Ali Larter.

I don’t think Mama Petrelli is at all involved in the Peter thing. I think she really thinks he’s dead. And Nathan knows more than he is telling about Peter. How does he know he is alive if he doesn’t know more? And what was up with him seeing that freiky face when he looked in the mirror? There needs to be some serious explanations about the way the show ended last season with Peter/Nathan, because let’s not forget, Nathan is NOT invincible. How did he survive Peter’s explosion? Can he assume some of Peter’s power’s when he is with him? Maybe he’s like Peter…

• 7. Mikey  |  September 25th, 2007 at 1:33 pm

PS. I’ve talked about the Tivo thing with Dad and apparently because I have DirecTV, it’s harder to get, or more complicated or something. I would have to buy a $200 piece of equipment or something, and then hook it up to some kind of wire (or something), and then make a stew with pigs feet in it (that I’m sure about). It’s all very complicated.

• 8. Maggie  |  September 25th, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Solution: Switch to cable.

You’re welcome!

• 9. maggie's dad  |  September 25th, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Hiro’s line is boring.
    Matt’s too.
    No longer care about Cheerleader.

Hey, wasn’t Nathan supposed to be a Congressman or something or did I forget something?

Bring back Ali. At least she’s pretty. If scary.

Mike can get a DirectTV DVR but not the cool TiVo interface unless he buys a TiVo box and uses it on his DirectTV Receiver with the extension arms to change the channel.

• 10. Maggie  |  September 25th, 2007 at 3:48 pm

GET THE DVR, MIKEY! The DVR is totally fine! Who needs the stupid TiVo interface! That is the craziest thing I have ever heard! The TiVo interface is completely unnecessary! DVR is exactly the same thing! And a lot cheaper! What kind of advice are you giving the poor kid?!?!

Sorry for turning this comments thread into Thanksgiving all of sudden.

• 11. Mikey  |  September 25th, 2007 at 5:25 pm

I don’t really know what “get the DVR” means. Can I have a link or something explaining what that is/where I get it/how it will be compatible with my DirecTV.

Yay family blog.
    M

• 12. Kate  |  September 25th, 2007 at 5:46 pm

Yay family blog indeed! Can we have the recipe for stewed pig’s (pigs’?) feet, too?
    Anyway, re: Chuck. Katie and I couldn’t figure out why all his super agent video montages including pictures of pie. All American apple pie, right? But still? Strange….

• 13. Dan  |  September 25th, 2007 at 6:52 pm

Oh Mikey… hope your knee is better. Sports are dangerous.

I have Directv and DVR. I’m very happy with it. Then again, I have never had real life TiVo, so I don’t know what I’m missing.

• 14. Mikey  |  September 25th, 2007 at 10:08 pm

O the knee is great! Many thanks. I’m trying to stay away from the whole physical activity thing. so far it’s going well.

• 15. sara  |  September 25th, 2007 at 10:41 pm

I was deeply confused by the lack of a convenient handle like “MaggiesBrother.”

• 16. maggie's dad  |  September 26th, 2007 at 11:26 am

You should all be content that both Maggie and I are encouraging Mike to get the DVR now.

Now that I’ve adopted Dan (did you notice him trying to get my approval by giving Aliens a second chance?), I fear that we are dominating the blogwaves. Can Mother and Grandma be far behind. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Today TiFaux, Tommorrow the World!

September 2007