Golden Globes Question

Posted by Maggie January 12th, 2009 at 04:46pm In General

Hey everybody, this is only tangentially related to TV (because it was on TV), but I have a Golden Globes related trivia exercise/question/random observation. Also you should know I have straight-up copied this from an email I sent to my dad, who had nothing to add except that my theory “sounds unlikely.”

sigourneyDuring the best drama/best comedy&musical clips they showed throughout the show, I had fun trying to figure out the connection between the person presenting the movie and the movie itself. Some were easy, like the Bollywood actor and actress presenting the clip from Slumdog Millionaire, or Tom Brokaw presenting Frost/Nixon, or Pierce Brosnan presenting Mamma Mia which he was in. Some required more thinking, like these:

Jake Gyllenhaal presents The Curious Case of Benjamin Button — Jake was in Zodiac, which was also directed by David Fincher

Renee Zellwegger presents The Reader — Renee was in Cold Mountain, which was an Anthony Minghella movie, and he produced The Reader

Don Cheadle presents Burn After Reading — Don is the Ocean’s 11 movies with Brad Pitt and George Clooney, who are both in Burn After Reading

Salma Hayek presents Vicky Christina Barcelona — Latina

Gerard Butler presents In Bruges — a resident of the UK

But there was one I absolutely could not figure out. Why did Sigourney Weaver present the clip from Revolutionary Road? She has no connection to Sam Mendes or Kate Winslet or Leonardo DiCaprio, as far as I can tell. I just learned today that she’s one of two other people, in addition to Kate Winslet, to win two acting awards at the same Golden Globes, but there’s no way they could’ve known that ahead of time. What could be the logic here? I would’ve understood Kevin Spacey. Or Billy Zane. But the only thing I can figure is this:

Sigourney Weaver was in Aliens which was directed by James Cameron who directed Kate and Leo in Titanic.

That can’t be it, though. Can it?

• 1. sara  |  January 12th, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I like your theory. Roommate hypothesized: Sigourney Weaver was alive in the ’50s, when Revolutionary Road takes place, although she doesn’t look like it. Also, Sigourney Weaver did the voiceover for the American version of Planet Earth, where Kate, Leo, Sam Mendes, and Richard Yates all live(d). But your theory seems more likely.

• 2. Rebecca  |  January 12th, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Wait, why Billy Zane? Other than “why not Billy Zane,” of course.

• 3. Maggie  |  January 12th, 2009 at 5:52 pm

He was in Titanic. Was going to go with Kathy Bates but Billy Zane is always funnier. “You better listen to your boy Zane, Zoolander.”

• 4. Mikey  |  January 12th, 2009 at 8:05 pm

Sigourney Weaver was in Alien. I haven’t seen Revolutionary road, but I have seen the cinematic trailer, and I have a hunch that Leo and Kate, at some point in the film, have a lien placed on their home. Mystery solved.

• 5. jesse  |  January 12th, 2009 at 8:21 pm

People were having this exact same conversation in the Golden Globes control room when Dennis Quaid burst in and demanded REWIND THAT! Upon further inspection, it was determined that Maggie’s tenuous but reasonable explanation is probably correct, and also that Sigourney Weaver had been replaced by her exact double and was not, in fact, assassinated moments later.

In doing research for that joke, I discovered that another star of Vantage Point, Zoe Saldana, is also in the Cameron movie with Weaver. VP reunion!!!

• 6. Marisa  |  January 12th, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Well played, both Mikey and Jesse.

• 7. Maggie  |  January 13th, 2009 at 10:45 am

Zoe Saldana is the most successful alumnus of Center Stage. I have been tracking her like a hawk. For a while I thought it was going to be the “I am the best goddamn dancer in the ABA, who the hell are you?” girl who was also in 10 Things I Hate About You, but Zoe Saldana’s breaking out.

• 8. J  |  January 14th, 2009 at 2:27 am

“Gerard Butler presents In Bruges — a resident of the UK” – He has also worked with Brendan Gleeson in Harrison’s Flowers.

Don’t know about Sigourney Weaver though… I’m stumped on that one.

January 2009