What’s ahead for Battlestar?

Posted by Dan March 2nd, 2009 at 11:11am In Battlestar Galactica

The way I see it, we have no choice but to devote all of our available mental energy to thinking about the conclusion of Battlestar Galactica. We may want to think about how we’re going to feed ourselves and be able to do enough at work to not get fired, but the house of cards that is the fleet seems to be collapsing. This show has never been about reassuring happy endings for its fans, so we just need to brace ourselves for the end.

For me, here are the questions I’m kicking around.  And I’m sure I’m missing obvious answers:

• Does Starbuck’s finding of her own body have to do with time travel? I loathe time travel (as I’ve inarticulately argued on this very Web site), but that’s the best non-Cylon-related answer I can come up with.
  • Who’s Daniel? I was at a party recently and nerded out with a stranger who suggested it was Zac Adama, tracing back to the Cylon who once whispered “Adama is a Cylon” in an attempt to save his own life (remember that episode way back when?). Personally, I thought it could have been Billy, but I was really basing that on nothing.
  • What does Hera have to do with anything?  Why is she the key to mankind’s destiny?  Is the secret hidden in her voluminous hair.

Here’s a link to Maureen Ryan’s Battlestar column where viewers ask questions of the most recent episode’s writers, although it’s mostly about process and metaphysical meaning as opposed to story. And then here’s a preview for next week’s episode.

• 1. Maggie  |  March 2nd, 2009 at 1:21 pm

I came up with this theory on Sunday, and Kyle helped with the details:

Daniel is Kara Thrace’s father. He’s “artistic” as described by Ellen. He knew the secret final-five-cylon song. And so Kara is, along with Hera, one of the only two half-cylons in the world — hence her VERY SPECIAL DESTINY as has been told to us throughout the show.

It’s unclear how this relates to her re-alive-ing, but I think it’ll end up fitting. Maybe Daniel is out there pulling strings for her. Would explain why he left her — not abandonment, maybe, but a higher purpose.

• 2. ekrobi  |  March 2nd, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Yeah, I’m definitely on the Starbuck’s Dad bandwagon. Didn’t they say Daniel was an great artist, and wasn’t Starbuck’s dad a mysterious musician or something?

• 3. Megan  |  March 2nd, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Did you watch Friday’s episode? I think its becoming more and more apparent that Starbuck is a hybrid (like Hera) and that the piano player in her mind was really her daddy (aka Dreidile or Daniel). Take for instance the fact that she definitely died and came back to life. Also, the piano player’s gesture right before he disappeared was identical to her memory of her father’s touch as a child. Finally, her dad taught her All Along the Watchtower – the Cylon song. Still, I could be wrong.

For me the bigger question was – what resurrection hub did she use to “resurect” after her body died on Earth? Also, how did she get a version of her ship back (it apparently died with her)? How/why did it turn on to lead them to Earth?

• 4. Roger  |  March 3rd, 2009 at 1:51 am

Yes, the man in Friday’s episode was her father. The writers and composer have said so. 🙂

But that’s really neither here nor there. LOL. I can’t wait to find out what’s up!

• 5. Simone  |  March 3rd, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I believe Kara is Daniel. Didn’t they say that Simon genetically altered Daniel? Why not into a woman? And Kara is an artist herself. By the painting she made in her apartment on caprica and later with the star systems that led them to earth.

• 6. johnathonmerrit  |  March 13th, 2009 at 6:53 pm

@Simone

I have thought this every since Ellen said that to Cavil. In a way, though, I don’t think so. It would fall together perfectly. The only problem is that Starbuck being special has been part of the entire story. I think it would be a little weak to just say that the only thing special about her is that she is a cylon. I think they have something bigger up their sleeves that we won’t know until the end.

• 7. frisil  |  March 15th, 2009 at 8:52 pm

I think Balthar is Daniel, and I wonder why nobody else seem to have thought of this. Balthar is a scientific genius, a sensitive man, an artist so to speak. And he seems to have a cylon soulmate hinting he must be a cylon (visions of six). The only cylon he can be is the 8th model. So obvieously one of his bodies/copies survived the destruction/degeneration 1 created to kill them off. Or 1 sent him back as all the others and then killed off the copies, but someone/something made him forget about that. Probably it was not planned that he would survive the attack on the colonies. Balthar also plays a religious role like biblical Daniel.

What I have no idea about is Kara returning from the dead. Or maybe she was transformed into a Cylon /something similar at the farm and somewhere a ressurrection hub / prototype is still active and she downloaded there? Okay, sounds unlikely, I hope I will know next Saturday!

March 2009