Lost’s Kate: I know she’s a very pretty lady, but there are lots of pretty ladies on that island

Posted by Dan March 10th, 2009 at 11:11am In Lost

kate_lostThere’s so much to discuss on any given episode of Lost, that I’m just going to talk about one particular thing that’s been chapping my ass a little bit.  And it’s all about Kate.

On the most recent Sawyer-centric episode, the writers threw a curveball at us by flash-forwarding three years on the island to where Sawyer and Juliet had made a happy home together on the island.  Even though I can’t recall much of a flirtation between the two, by the final ten minutes of the episode Sawyer and Juliet were smooching in the kitchen and exchanging I love yous like Ozzie and Harriet with a grim backstory.

And so, at one point, Sawyer has to tell another island resident that he once loved a woman (Kate) and he let her go. So, when the group shows up at the end of the episode Kate makes an especially dramatic entrance and we’re led to believe that there’s a new love triangle in town.

So herein lies my beef: Kate’s a very pretty lady, but seriously? Juliet’s pretty hot herself (shoulda seen her doing the hot lesbian action with Angelina Jolie in Gia — I mean, if you’re into that) and she’s a smart doctor who’s tough without shrieking about keeping up with the boys. I thought it was kind of annoying that she can just strut her befreckled ass onto the island and suddenly it’s game on again.

Love triangles between ridiculous people are pretty hard to tolerate (Hi Meredith! Hi Derek!), so I was pretty glad when it seemed to be at least narrowed down to Jack and Kate and whether they’d be able to hold it together. I really hope Sawyer and Jack don’t end up getting into another fight over her. Sigh.

• 1. mellican  |  March 11th, 2009 at 11:15 am

I love Kate and I loved the love triangle. it is the relationship between Sawyer and Juliet that is ridiculous.

• 2. ELAINEsky  |  March 11th, 2009 at 11:38 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks Kate should just go up in smoke..with the smoke monster, hopefully! Sawyer and Juliet looks so good together and I hope they stay together. Juliet made Sawyer a better man.

• 3. KateFan  |  March 11th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Kate is, by far, the hottest cast member of the show. Sure she’s no doctor/scientist, but she’s pretty damn smart as well. Yes the love triangle is kinda getting annoying as well, but I’m glad that Sawyer is with Juliet. I think they compliment each other much better.

• 4. Brainz  |  March 12th, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Maybe it will be a love rectangle because Jack and Juliet had a thang goin’ on too.

• 5. Katesucks  |  March 21st, 2009 at 4:03 am

Kate is the worst character. She’s been even more selfish than Sawyer, and I can’t believe I actually think of him as a good guy now. The way she bounced between Jack and Sawyer early on is what’s really ridiculous. She deserves to have her heart broken. She can’t really promise to marry Jack, then change her mind, and then show up at the island and hope that the other guy she betrayed has been waiting for her for 3 years.

That’s what’s so frustrating about this show. They can’t let anything good happen for more than 20 minutes before someone comes along to ruin it for no good reason.

• 6. lostfan  |  July 24th, 2009 at 9:21 am

Still, Kate is cute, and I can’t wait to watch her appearing in season 6

• 7. RealArmyWife7711  |  July 17th, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Kate is terrible as a person and extremely annoying in how she tries to be the “hot tomboy” girl around. Seems like she slows the group down. She is a bonified criminal as well I don’t understand why people are more weary of her.

March 2009