Who Won Thursday?

Posted by Marisa May 14th, 2010 at 09:38am In 30 Rock Community Parks and Recreation The Office Who Won Thursday?

Look! A full post! On Friday, no less! And for a really tough week, too, because all four NBC comedies had me laughing out loud.

Let’s get to it.

Community: English as a Second Language
I hate how this show constantly boils down to a struggle between friendship and personal gain, with friendship always winning out. They really need a new conflict. No one loves her friends more than I do, but I’d seriously reconsider my relationships if I kept having to prove them on a weekly basis.

Parks & Recreation: The Master Plan
Who would’ve guessed that April and Andy would be the will-they-or-won’t-they relationship in this show? I pretty much love that, because it’s not like they’re Jim and Pam, two sweet people destined to be together and have the cutest relationship ever. It’s harder to root for them, but you can’t help yourself.

The Office: The Chump
I adore it when the whole office gets together to try and work something out. In this episode, it was how to shoot Toby, Hitler, and Osama bin Laden with only two bullets. The episode pretty much peaked there.

30 Rock: Emanuelle Goes to Dinosaur Land
All the boyfriends return! Including the beeper king! And Wesley Snipes! (Though Wesley’s talking about “Russ and Rebecca” on “Chums” is no “gang way for foot cycle.”) It pleases me that all these guest stars seem game to return and be silly, like old John “Hook Hands” Hamm. (Knowing 30 Rock, though, they’re probably in it for the Emmys.) However, I find myself not really caring about Jack’s romantic dilemma. Perhaps that’s because, if I were Jack, I would have chosen Elizabeth Banks WEEKS AGO.

So, who won Thursday?

Photo by: Byron Cohen/NBC

Parks & Recreation

Why? The faces. I know making silly faces shouldn’t be considered the highest form of comedy. I know it’s cheesy, and they’re right to make fun of Jim on The Office for smirking all the damn time. But, seriously, Parks & Recreation had some of the funniest faces last night. There was April’s withering disgusted face (though she does that every week, so it’s not much of a treat). There was Rob Lowe’s psycho stare when he pointed at people and repeated their names. There was Ron’s delighted grin whenever they talked about shutting down the local government. Then, my favorite of all, was Tom Haverford’s beaming smile when he got the bartender’s phone number. Did he, or did he not, look just like this:

And that, my friends, wins it for Parks & Rec this week.

• 1. jesse  |  May 14th, 2010 at 9:49 am

As good a choice as any. Community had some big laughs and a great Good Will Hunting parody, but I maintain that the show just isn’t in quite the same league as the other three (for example: tasering gag). The Office was hilarious but definitely a broader late-period Office episode more than a stone cold deadpan classic Office episode. But within the broader confines, it was great. 30 Rock was also great, even though every aspect of the episode was pretty much a continuation/reiteration of a long-standing plotline (will Liz have to settle? How will Jack choose between the two ladies? Even Tracy coming to terms with his troubled past has been covered). That said, the run of Tracy’s childhood traumas was the funniest stuff of the whole night, especially that credits stinger that added seven or eight more. So I can see giving it to Parks & Rec not just because it’s probably my favorite show on TV right now, but because they had the most story progression while also being hilarious.

• 2. Marisa  |  May 14th, 2010 at 9:51 am

Oh, I forgot that I wanted to mention Tracy’s litany of repressions. “A pack of wild dogs took over and successfully ran a Wendy’s.” It was one of those things where I was laughing so hard that I couldn’t really hear all of them.

• 3. Maggie  |  May 14th, 2010 at 10:15 am

I agree completely, for the pure joy of what’s happening on Parks & Rec — everyone seems super excited to be there and they’re having fun. I can’t wait to see what they come up with for Rob Lowe. Just the way he had several “casually” unbuttoned buttons on his shirt at the club hinted at great things to come. And Adam Scott! Playing a classic Adam Scott character (if such a thing exists, which I guess I’m saying it does)! And everything that Andy does every episode!

I really liked the Good Will Hunting parody in Community, as someone who has seen GWH way too many times and who even liked the Jay & Silent Bob parody of GWH. Glad it pointed out how mean Ben Affleck’s big speech really is. But it was too little to carry the episode, especially after the major insanity/awesomeness of last week’s episode. I also really like Jeff/Annie stuff, even though I know it’s gross. Sorry.

I also want to give special points to Ryan and Kelly, who keep having these hilarious arguments in the backgrounds of scenes that we only half-hear. The one yesterday about how Ryan was mad that Kelly found a book about anthropology at the bookstore… because the section was next to the baby section… amazing.

• 4. jesse  |  May 14th, 2010 at 11:00 am

Maggie, I also really like Jeff/Annie stuff! Obviously they’re going ahead with Jeff/Britta on some level, and that doesn’t really bother me, but the awkward accidental flirtations between Jeff and Annie are AWESOME. Nice outside-the-box thinking from the writers on that, as that kind of weird non-relationship doesn’t get a lot of treatment on TV.

• 5. Marisa  |  May 14th, 2010 at 11:29 am

Oh, a classic Adam Scott character totally exists. I haven’t seen Party Down, but basically he’s the same in Leap Year as he is in Stepbrothers, only we’re supposed to like him for some reason.

I like Jeff/Annie, too, but mainly because I’m anti-Britta in all aspects of life. The Good Will Hunting parody was great, but I’m hankering for a real Troy-focused episode. This time, Community didn’t even come in second place for me. (That probably would’ve been 30 Rock.) When it’s good, it can be amazing. But when it’s bad, it’s really, really flat and hokey.

Ryan used to be my favorite character on The Office, but they pulled back on him a lot. I still liked his attempt to ask out Erin.

• 6. sara  |  May 15th, 2010 at 8:32 pm

Dwight trying to sterilize himself is absolutely killing me right now. But I am beginning to think that Erin is a certifiable idiot.

May 2010