I Hate Carlos Mencia

Posted by Dan March 27th, 2006 at 12:38pm In All Things TV

Carlos Mencia is the ignorant man’s Dave Chapelle.

douche.jpg

I accidentally started watching his show, “Mind of Mencia,” the other night, knowing only that a) he is a successful stand-up comedian. b) he seems to be proud of his own stupidity.

To me, Mencia seems a lot like another rarely-funny comedian: Jay Leno. This is the way I see it — the reason Jay Leno isn’t funny is because his jokes all have the same punchlines. His monologues always fall back on the same tired crutches: Jennifer Lopez has a big butt. Anna Nicole Smith is on drugs. Michael Jackson is a pedophile. Bill Clinton is a womanizer. Leno has told all these jokes over and over for years and they never get any funnier.

Mencia is the same way, only his fallbacks are based on race/religion/sexual orientation, whatever. While Leno’s jokes are stupid and obvious, Mencia’s serve only to reinforce ugly stereotypes. His jokes don’t come from a good place.

When Dave Chapelle or Chris Rock or Sarah Silverman do this kind of stuff, there’s at least some intelligence behind it. Their comedy is based on insight, rather than cliches. You can tell that these three comedians are challenging their audiences with their material. Mencia just wants people to laugh at the stereotypes they already know.

I watched about half of the show before I had to change the channel, wanting to smack that “yeah, I said it” smirk off his face.

• 1. ivan  |  May 5th, 2008 at 10:09 am

Mexicans are racist

• 2. ln  |  May 8th, 2008 at 3:14 am

The first time I heard a Carlos Mencia stand-up, I was with a friend and we were cleaning guns. Neither of us were really watching it, but how can you miss a fat pretend-Mexican idiot prancing around on stage yelling like an idiot? So things were going okay, until I heard something REALLY familiar… Something about a trucker running over people if kids who want to beat the crap out of you approach.

I started paying real close attention to his mannerisms, the words he chose to use (and not to use, mind you!), and I thought to myself… “Is this guy REALLY stealing from Bill Hicks?!” Frankly, I see this as a sort of blasphemy… On his HBO special, and I believe in “No Strings Attached,” he does a small section on Reginald Denny and the L.A. Riots. The thing was almost a VERBATIM steal from one of the greatest comedic minds in history! Way to piss on his grave.

I’ve been calling him Bill Spicks ever since. Joe Rogan’s pet names for him are pretty neat, too.

• 3. Antonio  |  May 11th, 2008 at 3:34 am

I really dont like Carlos mencia at all at first it was funny and i thought the jokes about mexicans were funny for a while beacuse Im mexican until i found out hes really not mexican hes Hounduran and he never made fun of them and his stuff is always the same it never changes George Lopez is way more funnier and so is Gabriel Iglesias

• 4. P1 Big Charlie  |  May 13th, 2008 at 2:36 am

Ned steals jokes and still isn’t funny. I’ve never found him funny. I think the whole over-the-top hispanic joke routine is rather lame and unoriginal, coming from any comedian, but Mencia is just plain irritating.

• 5. jeff  |  May 14th, 2008 at 3:28 am

i could not in any way, hate this copying ass fucking fake more than i do, grow some talent, and then you will still be at the bottom of hollywood, you suck
    fuck your mother you no talent ass clown

• 6. Danieldo  |  May 18th, 2008 at 8:50 pm

I hate this retard, i cant belive that comedy central gave him a new season i wanted to get a gun and shoot my self!! He not even funny he makes fun of his own people for money what an ass hole!!

• 7. fabian  |  May 22nd, 2008 at 1:08 am

ever since carlos mencia people started using his jokes to be racist against me the dude can barely speak spanish

• 8. Aleshia Jayne  |  June 1st, 2008 at 10:49 pm

OMG, every time I see his stupid commercial, he is always making fun of latinos and african americans! He is very stereotypical and I realized that I have never laughed at any of his jokes! He is definitely a slut. So is Jay Leno, and all the late night “comedians” they are so not funny

• 9. chris  |  June 4th, 2008 at 12:25 am

he’s a jackass, he goes to far with his jokes which aren’t even funny, he’s a loud mouth dick

• 10. Chaniqua  |  July 6th, 2008 at 9:32 am

I hate that fat ugly mexican he says the most racist things about black people especially about black females he is luckly dave chapelle diid’nt want to do his show anymore more or carlos would be cleaning the bathrooms right now dave chapelle and george lopez is funny not his fat ass and I bet his wife is cheating because who would wanna fuch his fat ass

• 11. Alek  |  February 1st, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I love how most people don’t get it. I think Sean Stephenson (a 3’4 author bound in wheelchair for life) put it well when he was on a show together with Johnny Knoxwille and said something to the tune of “thank you for making that movie where you weren’t afraid to make fun of the special olympics, you’re showing the world we’re just humans too, and don’t need to be treated like special little babies. I don’t want people to walk on eggshells around me, I want the same rights and the same PROBLEMS”

Making fun of white young guys is ok, but everyone else needs to be hush-hush? Heck no. Carlos is putting these issue to light and half his comedy is actually “in character”. He’s making fun OF making fun of people for being different.

You people are so stuck in trying to seem like you care that you didn’t get the point.

• 12. a black dude  |  April 23rd, 2009 at 10:16 pm

anyone who pretends to like this chappelle show rip-off shit, is obviously mexican because they don’t want to admit that they dont have anyone as funny, if you disagree…..suck my d#ck

• 13. Abno  |  June 24th, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I got nothing to say about Carlos Mencia or David Chapelle. I’ve got asbolutely no opinion. Carlos Mencia is a comedian. So is Dave Chapelle. Comedy is funny. Chapelle had a show. Carlos mencia has a show. They both did standups. They were and are still paid well.

Nothing.

I like mushrooms in my omlet.

What about Eddie Griffin?

Carlos Mencia and Dave Chapelle are human beings. They both wear clothes, and they are of a different race. Carlos’ last name is Mencia. He is half Mexican, and half Honduran.
    Chapelle is a black person. He is bold and talkes with a blackish accent.

I got no opinion.

Eddie Murphy used to do standup.

I got no arguements or points to make.
    Put that in a place in your mind. Bitches.

• 14. Rexius  |  August 28th, 2009 at 10:33 pm

I hate Carlos Mencia

• 15. not a fan of menncia  |  December 31st, 2009 at 11:47 pm

ya and he seems to not be able to tell a joke without cursing …i watched one of his stand up special on comedy central and i swaer every other word was a bleep it gets old really fast

• 16. dave  |  March 28th, 2010 at 2:50 am

i hate carlos mencia that half Nazi half Honduras fagot always talking about white people talk about gay Germans killing Jews that or about your hut people you homo

• 17. Juan  |  June 8th, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I’m not going to compare Carlos to other comedians but he does steal materieal. The proof is out there, everywhere! for those who don’t believe it just google Carlos Mencia Joke stealer. There are several videos that show, side by side bits especially the one of a Bill Cosby bit, then next they show Carlos’s bit, It’s almost word for word. And for those who support Carlos saying that he tells it like it is are just ignorant. Besides, I already know how it is, tell me something I don’t know dumb ass. All the racist jokes he makes and how he tries to come off as some super Latino, He’s half German and his real name is ED! Look it up people, it’s true. He’s a big phoney who can’t think up his own shit and steals other peoples material. I personally know a very funny young Latino comedian who played down in LA and two weeks later, Carlos was using his joke on TV. He told me that he had met Carlos that night at the club. I’ve known this guy for 20 years and he’s been doing his bit for about ten years and doing well with it. So I know Carlos stole his bit. So if Carlos ever see’s this, come up with you’re own material fool!
    From a REAL MEXICAN!

• 18. PancakesNpearls  |  January 14th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Your review is so dead on and could not agree with you more!

• 19. Priz  |  December 3rd, 2011 at 1:25 am

Yea he got a few funny jokes and yes he makes fun of everyone,every race even him self ect ect but when he talks about Arabs he goes over board pass joking you can see the hate in his face and I’m sure a lot of people well agree and if not watch him agian and compare his Arab jokes to his other race bashing jokes. P.s I wish some one would kick his fake butt it’s already proven he stole jokes that’s why he was off air for awhile

March 2006